I thought I'd join in with the Money Supermarket Challenge to Bloggers so here are my 30 ways to save £1.
1. Mend or fix broken items to prolong their life.
2. Buy second hand from Charity Shops.
3. Swap unwanted items with friends.
4. Re-use plastic bags for storing produce, as bin liners, dog poo bags etc
5. Sell unwanted items on online selling sites.
6. Make use of the library rather than buying books or newspapers.
7. Make floor cloths out of old towels.
8. Save wrapping paper to use again.
9. Make cards and gift tags from recycled items.
10. Only shop with a list.
11. Don't take any money when you go out for a walk.
12. Take your own food when going on a day out rather than buying in cafes.
13. Don't throw away left-overs but use again in the next meal e.g. make soup or pies or sandwiches.
14. Make sure all containers are empty before you throw them away - e.g. toothpaste tubes, jars of jam, ketchup etc.
15. Use less washing up liquid and washing powder.
16. Turn your garden, or part of it, into an edible garden and grow your favourite vegetables or fruit.
17. Save plastic containers and use for storage.
18. Turn off lights and appliances when not in use.
19. Make your own compost from kitchen scraps and garden waste.
20. Cook from scratch rather than buy ready made meals.
21. Make your own 'special meal' rather than go to a restaurant.
22. Cut up your credit cards and just use cash.
23. Take a shower rather than a bath - to save water.
24. Drink water rather than bought sugary drinks.
25. Walk shorter distances rather than take the car.
26. Make your own bread.
27. Make your own cakes and pastries.
28. Know what you have in your freezer and cupboards and keep a look out for special offers so you can bulk buy items when they are on offer.
29. If an offer sound too good to be true it is so don't be tempted to buy.
30. Have some 'no-spend' days and don't be tempted to part with any money. Slowly increase your number of days if you can.
Here's an extra one:-
When tempted to buy something ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" (Generally I don't. I probably have too many of them anyway!)
"Where am I going to put it?" (I'm trying to de-clutter so I've not got any more room!)
"If I came back tomorrow would I still be tempted?" (I usually forget what tempted me in the first place!)