Friday 2 October 2020

Rock on

 Like Jackie my pear tree has done nothing or just dropped all its pears for years but this year we had a crop. We left them on the tree for ages but they stayed rock hard. Having looked up rock hard pears we gathered that they had to be 
*brought indoors for a bit to ripen - nope!
*put with bananas which will help to ripen them - nope!


It's getting colder so I decided the best thing I can do is poach them in water as the insides were starting to get brown. Yes, they softened and now we have a way of eating through them. I've just picked another batch and will poach them and store them in the freezer.


Where there's a will there's a way.

xx

4 comments:

  1. Pears are really strange, I bought some a while ago and they are just ready to eat. Like you I was going to poach if they took any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to take note of that. Sr P has a friend who gives him lots of fruit from his orchard and sometimes he has been given pears but they were hard. I threw them away. Its good to know that now! Thanks! I can poach them to soften them!! A Pear tart would be nice!! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting a crop this year. I'm glad you found a way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are they perhaps the type of pear that needs a touch of frost in order to ripen?

    I do wish our pear would bear fruit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.