Friday 15 March 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

We intended just to walk along part of the coast we hadn't walked before and as we walked we read signs and posters. This one caught our eye as it was about a very unusual structure by the shore so we went for a look-see.


I don't think they had a set square when they were building this tower! For more information look here and for more pictures look here.


Lovely artwork based on the sand and shore adorned the walls all the way up the tower. 

A specially commissioned artwork 'Drift' features throughout the building and is made up of a series of individually designed pieces fashioned from natural materials and textures inspired by the natural patterns from the coastal environment.  

It's part of the Mythic Coast artwork trail.



There's a camera on top of the tower which can be angled and zoomed from the room at the base. We had great fun zooming in and out watching the people below.



There was lots of information about wildlife, volunteer work, exhibitions and walks,


plus a cross-section of the tower itself.


Working our way up the 64 steps we stopped in the birdwatching room,


the coast watch room - where we observed again!




and at the very top we went out onto the open air balcony.




An ordinary stroll turned into an informative and entertaining morning. Very pleasant apart from the travel sickness suffered in the non-square rooms!

xx

A very warm welcome to my new follower.

12 comments:

  1. Impressive views and artwork. I do love discovering and wandering around those sort of places and if there are great views better still.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be in the tower during a storm.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I do love a seaside stroll! I can almost smell the ozone from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting. I like climbing towers and looking down. It's a funny shape, looks like it is falling over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unusualand yet enticing. It does look like the building is going to fall over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great building, if a little disorientating! We have a library built on the beach here, i love looking up from my book to see waves crashing an an endless view. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a very interesting outing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know where you have been. We the family have talked about visiting the tower. The views look fantastic.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great views. I can imagine it being very relaxing sitting in there and looking out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tower, we always went to a nosey when it was being built although we haven't been inside yet. I think we'll have to take a trip up there sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. I owe you an apology. I read all your blogs and keep forgetting to just say I have read it......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pleased to know the tower's finished - I got dizzy just standing on the promenade and trying to take a photo of it. I think I'll wait for the weatherimproving before I visit though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.