Thursday 12 July 2012

Not Knott End at all

No - this time it was Blackpool's south promenade. We took a tram to Starr Gate and then walked back towards South Pier. We passed the Mirror Ball and ...


the Solarium, where we stopped for a cup of tea and a look around the art display.


Photographs of 'old' Blackpool were on show.


It wasn't as packed today as it was here even thought the weather was fine.


Coming out of the Solarium we continued along the prom.


One of our largest attractions is the Pleasure Beach. Here you can see the Big One. 


Want to go for a ride?


Various works of 'art' are scattered along the walkway. They are called the Great Promenade Show.


This pier is not my favourite. The boards wobble causing sensitive souls like me to feel a little queasy and the rides blast forth very loud music.


There are wonderful views of the coast line though.



The seating arrangements are not as grand as North Pier but have the requisite sea side theme.


This is the back of the Sandcastle - another attraction.


I had to walk to the very end of the pier but my friend didn't dare. It was very un-nerving to see the beach umpteen feet below.


I made it and looked back towards the prom.



You can be relieved of your money very easily in Blackpool.

9 comments:

  1. It`s good to hear that you had a dry enough day for a decent walk. It has tipped down all day here. We are drenched and half flooded :-(

    Lovely to see the old photos of Blackpool. I expect that`s how it looked on the day that my OH`s late parents met, on a summer day trip to Blackpool from their West Yorkshire town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view across the sea is one I remember from childhood. My grandparents had a'guest house' in Blackpool. I only ever went there off season!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this as i had a chance to go to Blackpool when I was over there 10 years ago,butI did not see any of these sights we were all around the area where we had gotten off fron Cleverleys we went to a place where we had a race horse ride the horses were almost life sized and a ghost walk where you came out in the middle of the pub,very embarrassing seeing we had screamed all the way lol but just wonderful memories bought back and new places that I had not sen,I would have loved to have seen the ballroom that people tell me about,maybe I will get a chance another time.Lovely mum thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take some shots of the Tower Ballroom next time I'm in - I have a yearly pass so that I can learn ballroom and sequence dancing. The horses you mentioned may be the gallopers in the Pleasure Beach. Last time I went on them I was a little girl and they whizzed round so fast they nearly threw me off! I'm not too sure where your ghost in the pub is - I'll have to research that one. There is a ghost train at the Pleasure Beach - I don't think you walk though.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's certainly changed since I went there around 15 yrs ago. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't go on roller coasters, too much of a wuss, and I definitely wouldn't go on The Big One, far too high. It looks like you had a decent day for your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking much better now the work has finished. Do they still charge to walk round the Pleasure Beach? A big disappointment last year when I couldn't take a stroll down memory lane, I used to work there. Had many a ride on The Big One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm afraid they charge an arm and a leg to go on the Pleasure Beach. If you don't go on anything I think it's about £5.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I remember going to Blackpool years and years ago when I was 16 and it was so windy, my false eyelashes blew off!!- looks like the weather was a little better for you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.