Friday 9 September 2011

I must go down to the seas again ...

... this time to have a picnic and walk along Central Pier.


I invited some friends to join me.


Lots to spend your money on on this pier.


It's the end of the season so not many people are here.


The stall holders are still manning the rides and selling their souvenirs.


In the distance you can just see South Pier ...


... and to the North guess which pier this is.


Not many people on the rides today.


These people were going round and round ...


... and round and round! I didn't stay to see them come off the ride. Been there, done that, been sick!


Round the end of the pier is a sad reminder not to lean over too far. The sea is not always calm.


More stalls but no punters or grockles as they are known here.


South Pier next.

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.'

John Masefield











4 comments:

  1. Hello, I love the seaside in the winter. We live near Southend and it is so different without the grockles. (We use that word too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to the British seaside in years! I want to go now. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely beach at Blackpool, 'grockle' is also used in Devon and Cornwall x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a long time since I walked along that pier, in fact it's a few years since I've been to Blackpool. We used to stay in St. Annes very often when the kids were little.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.