Saturday 11 June 2016

Morning Routine

As part of my Morning Routine I take a tour around the garden while the cat goes for a walk-around. All is growing well and we will soon be eating the potatoes as these flowers have been on for a while. The Mange Tout are waving about in the background. Hi there. They have featured in our meals for the last week plus have been given away to friends as there are so many of them. Over to the left are broad beans and in the middle are sweetcorn which are just getting going.


The dingily dangly mange tout grow from a flower in about a day! I don't need to string them and they take very little cooking - just steamed, stir fried, boiled for a while or eaten raw.


A mountain of strawberries await us.


The chive flowers make a wonderful show with the foxgloves opposite them.


A very important part of my Morning Routine is picking off the side shoots of the tomato plants. In the past I have been very lax and they have grown all over the place in the greenhouse. No more - it's in the routine and off they come. I thought every other day would do for an inspection but no, daily vigilance is required to eliminate these little blighters.


I thought I was doing well until I spotted this one sprouting from the base of the plant.


Oh no! And this one is nearly another large plant.


Most of the other plants are growing straight upwards, if a little wonky!


Now they are receiving maximum light from the side windows. (The grape vine shades the roof windows.)


Here's my creative piece on the plot. It's a shame to pick the lettuce as it spoils the symmetry.


Happy planting!

xx

PS Not many people have commented on yesterday's post but I'll not send the parcel anywhere until next week, so if you would like to join in the blog giveaway game there will still be time. Sorry I can't mail to the rest of the world but postage would be too expensive.



10 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking great, it's almost too hot here for lettuce now. We are eating potatoes and tomatoes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing how other peoples' growing is getting on. When did you plant out your sweetcorn and how tall is it just now? Mine has been out about three weeks and is mostly around 10 - 12 inches. Love the cabbage circle; you could just eat the one in the middle! Hope my spuds flower soon - I have lots of foliage. Your strawbs are doing well - I don't think mine will ever make it to the table with Jon and the boys after them but that is what they are there for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweetcorn is about the same side as yours and I hope it puts a spurt on soon. The cabbages you espied are lettuce. Normally I'm not very good at growing lettuce but everything I've sown has come up. Salad for tea today.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely garden, and a beautiful place to take a morning stroll.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely morning routine to have x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to do the morning walk also. Sometimes it is an evening walk but it always makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sweetcorn has grown slowly but now we have had a little rain I am hoping for a growth spurt. I have two rows of mange tout, none have made it into the kitchen yet. They jump off the plant straight into my mouth. They go quite well with wild strawberries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your crops are looking very good. Mine seen to be taking a while to get going. I think it will be a good year for courgettes though.All the plants took this year instead of the solitary one , last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a question if you don't mind: what are picking off the tomato plants? Is it to ensure they grow straight up? I'm not a big gardener but always plant tomato plants. Can you explain? I'd appreciate that. Arlene from NJ (US) Thank you By the way, your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had much luck with sweet corn. Maybe I'll try again next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.