Wednesday 28 August 2013

What time is it, Mr. Wolf?

It's time to go up the clock tower in the park.


Yeah - the tower isn't open very often but our little volunteer group were allowed a Heritage Tour of the park which included the chance to check out Blackpool's second tower. Hang on to the banister.


Up we go! (78 steps)


Each side of the tower faces a compass point. Here is the view to the North,


the East,


the South


and the West.


We even managed to sneak a peek at the back of the clock and ...


... the workings.


The tower will be open again on Thursday 12th September as part of the Heritage Open  Days Scheme.



9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I would have made all those steps!! Worth it for the lovely views though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that you lived in Blackpool, how wonderful.
    I have such fond memories of holidays there and then living there for several years in the 70's and 80's.
    I live in Dallas TX now which is as different from Blackpool as chalk and cheese.
    I know this tower you are speaking of and have never been able to go inside, what a treat for me that you did and posted these pictures.
    Thank you, Pam in TX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy your jaunts around and about. I wonder how many Blackpool citizens know of all these really interesting places in their home town. I do despair sometimes with our natives who are totally ignorant of what is on their doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you weren't up there when it chimed! We had a church around the block with a very high tower and I was allowed to climb it one day. The trip down was harder. We had to hurry so we could be out of the tower when it struck the hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the views out of it, im sure it was worth the climb....it would just have taken me a little while to get there.
    I love the heritage open days, my Mum used to always drag me along when i was little as it must have been a cheap day out for me, i really appreciate them now.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only been up the other tower. Interesting to learn about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo's. I love open days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.